Ad

Thursday, September 16, 2010

2001: A Documentary [NOT]

I first saw the movie 2001:A Space Odyssey shortly after seeing Star Wars. I think that was a mistake because I was expecting Star Wars II and was rather surprised that I got something very different instead. It was slow, confusing, and what was that whole sequence of visuals towards the end? Did it have to be that long?

I'd read an article that explained most of the elements of the movie before seeing it (the bone changing to the orbiting nuclear weapon represents the transition from mans first to ultimate weapon) but that only made me a little less confused, it didn't make me enjoy it more.

And yet, it's still an important, evocative movie. Perhaps it's the whole computer to personality thing that intrigues me most.

Now, here comes Douglas Trumbull, who was the special effects genius behind 2001, with a plan to make a documentary about the movie. And Warner Home Video was interested; BUT then they pulled out.

Everyone write to Warner Home Video and tell them not to pull a HAL.

Here's a clip of Trumbull talking about it, and showing a brief clip they had produced to promote the project.



I guess we do have the promise of the book by Dave Larson to look forward to.

Slashfilm: Movie Trailer: ‘Beyond the Infinite: The Making of A Masterpiece,’ Douglas Trumbull’s Documentary About the Making of ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ [The trailer doesn't appear to be there anymore, though there is a short article]


No comments: